Eastern Cape, South Africa
+27 21 671 1377
Frquently Asked Questions

Can my family accompany me?

We actively encourage family groups as Donkerkloof is ideal for non-hunters to rest, relax and enjoy the South African bush.

How safe is it to visit South Africa to hunt?

Your safety is our highest priority and whether it be in the bush while hunting or game viewing, at the lodge at night or while on tour we will ensure that this remains a priority. If you have any questions about places you might want to visit, please contact us.

How many hunters can be catered for?

We prefer a maximum of two hunters per group, to ensure a memorable experience.

Are mosquitoes and insects a problem?

The Eastern Cape is malaria-free. In the summer if there has been rain it is advisable to have an insect repellent handy.

Are gratuities payable?

It is advisable to work on a 10% gratuity cost.

Do I have to bring my own firearm?

We encourage hunters to bring their own firearm, however we do have a limited number of fire arms available to rent for the period of your hunt at Donkerkloof.

How should I plan my wardrobe?

Your clothing should be neutral in colour and comfortable. Bring hiking boots that you have already walked in and a good pair of socks. A warm jacket for the evenings as well as a windproof jacket and warm sweater are essential as is a sun-hat and, is applicable sun-glasses. Short pants will also come in handy. Other: Binoculars Range finder Cameras Lip ice Sun block Moisturizer Flashlight Knife Gloves

What are the regulations regarding bringing my fire arm into South Africa?

Visitors bringing firearms into South Africa for hunting purposes will have to apply for a temporary import permit and fill in a SAP 520 - Temporary Import Application. A copy of the application can be downloaded from the SAPS Website at www.saps.gov.za. It makes sense to fill it in beforehand, to speed up the process at the police station. It is important that you fill the form in black ink. Do not sign until you are with the police officer issuing the permit Fill in sections: D, E, G, I and J. THE ISSUING OF THE SAPS 520 IS A FREE SERVICE, DO NOT PAY FOR ITS ISSUE.

How long will I need to clear customs when arriving in South Africa?

Make sure that you allow yourself a minimum of 3 hours to clear customs and collect your rifle when arriving at Cape Town International or OR Tambo airports.

What other documentation will I require when travelling to Donkerkloof to hunt?

Return airline ticket Flight details and identity Passport and entry VISA Other supporting documentation which might be needed:

How many firearms may I bring?

A maximum of TWO. These may not be the same calibre unless a client brings in more than one shotgun of the same calibre for bird hunting purposes and he can produce acceptable written motivation as to why he needs more than one rifle of the same calibre.

How much ammunition may I bring?

Not more than 200 rounds per calibre per applicant are allowed

Are handguns allowed?

For hunting purposes only, a full motivation is required. Handgun for self-defense are prohibited.

Do I need a permit for a bow?


My son is 19 years of age and I want give him a Kudu hunt as a gift, can it be arranged?

Applicants must be 21 years of age to apply for a SAP 520.

How long is the temporary import permit for my firearm valid?

Six months

Must my weapon have a serial number?

Firearms must bear the manufacturers serial number. The identification number must be stamped on the barrel or the frame of the receiver.

Are any weapons prohibited?

Fully automatic firearms, semi-automatic firearms, handguns for self-defense and military categories are all prohibited. The exception is the semi-automatic shotgun, if used for hunting, which may be allowed. Applicants must motivate the Central Firearms Register at least 21 days prior to arriving.

I have special dietary requirements, will this be a problem?

Provided that you give us details, well in advance of your arrival, this will not be an issue.

Does Donkerkloof have electricity?

Power is 220/240 volt 50 cycle.

Is drinking water available?

The tap water is drinkable and filtered rain water is also on tap in the lodge and cottage.

What currency will I use and is there VAT (value added tax)?

South Africa use the Rand. One Rand has 100 cents. VAT at 14% is included in the price of most items. Keep all slips of over R250 and claim your VAT back at the airport when you leave.

Can I use my cellular phone?

There good Vodacom signal. MTN and Cell C users may have some difficulty getting signal.

Is there wifi?

At the moment, this is not available. But we are working on it - watch this space.